By Regina F. Bendix,Galit Hasan-Rokem
- An exceptional number of unique, state-of-the-art essays on folklore authored by means of overseas experts
- Examines the practices and theoretical ways constructed to appreciate the phenomena of folklore
- Considers folklore within the context of multi-disciplinary issues that come with poetics, functionality, non secular perform, delusion, ritual and image, oral textuality, background, legislation, politics and gear in addition to the social base of folklore
- Selected through selection as a 2013 remarkable educational Title
Read Online or Download A Companion to Folklore (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology) PDF
Similar folklore & mythology books
For Texans and non-Texans alike, Mythic Texas is an engaging trip right into a tradition that's like no different on the planet. if you ponder the observe "Texas," vibrant photographs spring to mind. The symbols and legends that almost all folks go along with Texas all have their foundation within the heritage, tradition, and geography of the kingdom.
In 1933 the German anthropologist Hans Alexander Winkler came upon a ‘spirit medium’ named ‘Abd al-Radi in a village close to Luxor in top Egypt. ‘Abd al-Radi was once periodically possessed via the ghost of his uncle, and in that kingdom handed messages to those that got here to hunt support. In an excessive examine, Winkler lays out the development of the realm shared through the agricultural humans, with its saints and pilgrims, snake charmers and wandering holy males, all less than the overarching strength of God.
An unfortunate gambler who haunts the Curtis residence, the airy White woman who wanders one of the tombs of Union Cemetery and a ghostly diner who nonetheless insists upon becoming a member of the meal are one of the otherworldly citizens of Southwestern Connecticut. With an extended and infrequently turbulent heritage, the zone has develop into a number to lingering spirits who can't go away at the back of the websites in their dying.
“Turning to stand north, face the north, we input our personal subconscious. consistently, on reflection, the adventure north has the standard of dream. ” Margaret Atwood, “True North”In this interdisciplinary assortment, 16 students from twelve international locations discover the inspiration of the North as a realm of the supernatural.
- Drawn from the Ground: Sound, Sign and Inscription in Central Australian Sand Stories (Language Culture and Cognition)
- Tracking the ChupaCabra: The Vampire Beast in Fact, Fiction, and Folklore
- Myths and Legends of India Vol. 1
- The Gipsies' Advocate; or Observations on the Origin, Character, Manners, and Habits, of the English Gipsies:
- White Mythologies
- Legends, Lore and Secrets of Western New York (American Legends)
Additional info for A Companion to Folklore (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology)
A Companion to Folklore (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology) by Regina F. Bendix,Galit Hasan-Rokem