By Nancy Henry
- A clean examine George Eliot's desirable existence story
- Includes unique new research of her writing
- Deploys the most recent biographical research
- Combines literary feedback with biographical narrative to supply a rounded perspective
Read or Download The Life of George Eliot: A Critical Biography (Wiley Blackwell Critical Biographies) PDF
Similar literary victorian criticism books
The lifestyles tale of the Victorian novelist George Eliot is as dramatic and complicated as her most sensible plots. This new evaluate of her lifestyles and paintings combines fresh biographical learn with penetrating literary feedback, leading to revealing new interpretations of her literary paintings. A clean examine George Eliot's attractive existence tale comprises unique new research of her writing Deploys the most recent biographical learn Combines literary feedback with biographical narrative to supply a rounded standpoint
More and more, modern scholarship finds the robust connection among Victorian girls and the area of the nineteenth-century supernatural. ladies have been intrinsically sure to the occult and the esoteric from mediums who materialised spirits to the epiphanic reports of the hot lady, from theosophy to telepathy.
This ebook bargains a much-needed learn of the Victorian novel's position in representing and shaping the provider sector's emergence. Arguing that previous bills of the novel's relation to the increase of finance have neglected the emergence of a much wider carrier zone, it lines the consequences of carrier work's many varieties and sophistication positions within the Victorian novel.
“Wright’s completely unique research focuses no longer on narratives of sickness, yet on narratives of health and wellbeing. …Thus studying opposed to the grain, Wright uncovers a hidden historical past of well-being and of the unconventional itself. ” —Pamela ok. Gilbert, writer of sickness, hope and the physique in Victorian Women’s well known NovelsIn analyzing for health and wellbeing: clinical Narratives and the Nineteenth-Century Novel, Erika Wright argues that the emphasis in Victorian stories on disorder because the fundamental resource of narrative clash that has to be resolved has obscured the complicated examining practices that emerge round the notion of future health.
- The Victorian Freak Show: The Significance of Disability and Physical Differences in 19th-Century Fiction
- Animals in Victorian Literature and Culture: Contexts for Criticism (Palgrave Studies in Animals and Literature)
- Wild Animal Skins in Victorian Britain: Zoos, Collections, Portraits, and Maps
- Masculinity, Crime and Self-Defence in Victorian Literature: Duelling with Danger (Crime Files)
Additional info for The Life of George Eliot: A Critical Biography (Wiley Blackwell Critical Biographies)
The Life of George Eliot: A Critical Biography (Wiley Blackwell Critical Biographies) by Nancy Henry